Freshly dried, awesomely clean and nice smelling clothes are lovely. Yea! And, making these lovely fresh washed and dried clothes reeeeeaaally soft to our skin is great! What do you use to accomplish the softening effect – in the washer or the dryer? In the dryer, probably dryer sheets, right?
THE BAD NEWS ABOUT DRYER SHEETS
One of the most toxic things we do, on a regular basis, is the use of fabric softener or dryer sheets. These perfume-laden (or fragrance-free!) sheets are full of toxic chemicals. These chemicals infiltrate our lovely clothes (and then they smell and feel soooooo good!), that we then wear of course, which in turn get on our skin, and more importantly, and the problem being, get absorbed into our body. This “into our body” absorption contributes to dysfunction and disease of the nervous system.
“Headlines around the world are reporting two disturbing trends: the incidence of brain disease is growing at an alarming rate; and increasing levels of industrial chemicals are being found in human bodies.” The Brain Wash
INGREDIENTS IN DRYER SHEETS
If there is anything listed, it might only be “biodegradable cationic softeners”. These “softeners” – that make our clothes fluffy and static-free – are toxic chemicals which build up in our body and over time can wreak havoc on our nervous system.
According to the author of The Brain Wash, here are the seven most common chemicals found in dryer sheets and their effect on the central nervous system:
1. Alpha-Terpineol causes central nervous system disorders. Can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
2. Benzyl Alcohol causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
3. Camphor on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
4. Chloroform on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
5. Ethyl Acetate on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Narcotic. May cause headaches and narcosis (stupor).
6. Linalool causes central nervous system disorders. Narcotic. In studies of animals, it caused ataxic gait (loss of muscular coordination), reduced spontaneous motor activity, and depression.
7. Pentane causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapours causes central nervous system depression.
Is that enough to scare you right out of your toxic chemically softened pants or what?
DRYER SHEET FRAGRANCES TOXIC TOO
Mike Adams, editor of Natural News, does a fine job explaining the dangers in this article.
When people use dryer sheets, they are coating their cloths with a thin film of artificial chemical perfumes. Just like other perfumes, a person’s sensitivity to these perfumes decreases over time to the point where they don’t even notice how potent these artificial fragrance chemicals are. None of this would be interesting if it weren’t for the fact that these fragrance chemicals are extremely toxic. They are known carcinogens. They cause liver damage and cancer in mammals.” Mike Adams
Make your own Felted Wool Dryer Balls. Felted wool dryer balls are an easy to make, non-toxic alternative to dryer sheets and commercial fabric softeners. Throw 6 of these in the dryer with your laundry and you will never go back to dryer sheets again.
WHAT OTHER TOXINS ARE KEEPING YOU FROM HEALING YOUR THYROID SYMPTOMS?
I offer a list and solutions to many more toxins in our food and environment in my Get Your Life Back! Reset Your Thyroid Health 6-Module Home Study Course. Find out more here.
Photos 1 and 2 from http://www.stockfreeimages.com/