It hardly needs saying, to everyone on the planet, “Don’t skip breakfast!” But, for we who have a thyroid dysfunction, autoimmune disease, adrenaline and blood sugar problems, “Don’t skip breakfast!” really means something, as in “Do you want to live?”
We can be short on time some mornings so that preparing a breakfast seems too hard, but (referring to the cartoon above) “catching” your breakfast at a drive through window does not constitute the healthy eating plan that you need to help heal your thyroid.
“Do you want to live?” Is it really that dramatic?
Yes. And here’s why.
1. The two words that make up our word for eating after a long night’s sleep – “break” “fast” – really means what it says. You are literally “breaking” a “food/water fast” when you awaken after many hours since you ate last before you went to bed. If you don’t replenish the necessary food supply, your body and brain will begin to react badly.
2. Metabolism: Our metabolism slows down and our fat burning machine isn’t as productive as it ought to be when we don’t eat breakfast soon after awaking.
3. Blood sugar: After hours of not eating our blood sugar is already heading south. The foods that we ate yesterday have been breaking down into sugars and other life sustaining processes, by morning the body and brain have naturally used up most of what they need to function well, blood sugar continues to plummet until a new supply of fuel is added.
4. Studies have found that people who eat breakfast every day weigh less than those people who choose to skip it. That’s a nice benefit, but for we with thyroid problems, it’s all about health first, weight loss will follow.
BODY AND BRAIN ACTING BADLY
How does not eating an adequate breakfast effect your body and brain?
1. Low blood sugar can create a long list of symptoms, very real and damaging effects, like:
- brain fog
- blurred vision
- loss of balance
- black outs
- loss of memory
- feeling tired, sleepiness
- panic disorders
- even death…
- and many other side affects that you really don’t want to experience (one more time.)
2. If you miss meals often, and have a weight problem, you’re just adding fuel to the fire. Your body thinks it’s starving so goes into survival mode, holding on weight and fat to “store” it for the famine.
3. Overeating and seeking out sweets to fill the gap – Because breakfast is the fuel that ignites our metabolism in the morning – to keep it working all throughout the day – when you skip breakfast you will find yourself “starving” and can easily overeat at lunch or dinner time, plus add ongoing foraging and snacking on high fat/sugar, often devoid of nutrition and real food.
4. Worsens an already painful thyroid condition.
WHAT TO EAT FOR BREAKFAST
1. Keep it simple. Don’t make it hard.
2. When time is of the essence, plan ahead – through menu planning, shopping list and for some meals, pre-cook/bake and have ready, and always make more for dinner the night before to have left overs for breakfast.
3. Decisions and choices are so much easier when you keep your pantry and frig/freezer stocked with the right clean thyroid diet foods.
4. Have available all the time:
- nut butters – I eat mine straight from the container on a knife some mornings, while eating other food too.
- nut milks (carrageenan free)
- brown rice or quinoa already cooked
- legumes: homemade burrito wrapped in an thin omelet or gluten free wrap (can take with you)
- eggs (find out more about egg yolks and thyroid problems)
- fruit (eaten whole or in smoothies)
- vegetables (for smoothies or cooking)
- protein powder for smoothies
Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. Enjoy it!
IF YOU DON’T HAVE THE THYROID RESET DIET, ORDER IT TODAY AND START HEALING YOUR BODY AND BRAIN
If you need help with your diet choices, find the clean thyroid specific healing diet in my Get Your Life Back! manual, plus checklists for over 70 symptoms and more HERE. Plus, your whole family can eat this way, this “diet”, and you’ll all feel so much better and lose weight too!