Vitamin C, L-ascorbic acid or simply ascorbate, a water soluble vitamin helps thyroid function in several great ways, it:
- assists the production of thyroid hormones
- stimulates the adrenals which are key thyroid allies
- helps with the metabolism of the amino acid typtophan, which forms part of thyroid hormone.
- very good for the immune system
- and for the whole bodyand brain it’s a potent antioxidant
What else can high-vitamin C foods do for you?
- Help protect cells from free radical damage
- Lower your cancer risk
- Regenerate your vitamin E supplies
- Improve iron absorption
What events can indicate a need for more high-vitamin C foods?
- Poor wound healing
- Frequent colds or infections
- Lung-related problems
Plus, when taking thyroid medicine
- it improves levothyroxine absorption helping patients to reach the desired THS levels much faster.
If you have Hashimoto’s disease
- it can help to reduce thyroid antibodies, and the symptoms associated with this condition.
So, eat your foods with vitamin C and take supplements too as it is water soluble, so it washes out of our body each day and needs replenishing.
Healthiest Foods rich in vitamin C
Food %Daily Value
Bell Peppers 195.8%
Brussels Sprouts 124.6%